Internal University of Minnesota Funding Sources
NB: Deadlines change from year to year.
Be sure to verify current deadlines well ahead of time.
Center for German and European Studies
Center for Urban and Regional Affairs (CURA)
Center for Writing
- Research grants: Center for Writing offers small grants to support writing in disciplines and writing across the curriculum.
College of Liberal Arts
- InfoTech Fees Program
The College of Liberal Arts Office of Information Technology (CLA-OIT)
and the CLA Student Technology Fee Committee offer an internal grant program for CLA faculty, staff, and departments
seeking funds for technology equipment and technology-rich projects
that enhance the learning experience for our undergraduate and graduate
- Internal Awards and Funding Sources Available to CLA Faculty
For specific questions regarding CLA internal awards and funding, contact John Blair, at 612-624-2594 or John Blair. For general research-related questions in the College of Liberal Arts, contact the Office of the Associate Dean for Research and Graduate Programs, at 612-624-9815.
Digital Technology Center
European Studies Consortium (ESC)
- The purpose of the ESC is to promote and support inquiry into Europe-related issues that engage scholars across disciplinary and collegiate borders.
- An arts and humanities endowment supported by the McKnight Foundation, the Imagine Fund provides faculty research awards, visiting distinguished professorships, and a special events fund.
The Immigration History Research Center
- IHRC Grants in Aid: Awards of up to $500 to assist graduate students, independent and other scholars traveling to conduct research for at least one week (five research days) at the IHRC. Post-doctoral students are eligible for a two week residency with a maximum award of $1000.
- Michael G. Karni Scholarship: Awards of up to $1000 to assist visiting professors, lecturers, or graduate students with travel and research-related expenses associated with a term of residence at the IHRC of not less than two full weeks of research.
Institute for Advanced Study
Institute for Global Studies
Interdisciplinary Center for the Study of Global Change
Learning Abroad Center
Minnesota Population Center
- Proposal Development Grants: Funding for graduate students and faculty to develop and submit population-related research proposals to external funding agencies.
Modern Greek Studies Program
Office of the Vice President and Vice Provost for Equity and Diversity
- IDEA Grants Program: Innovation, Diversity, Equity, and Achievement
Established by the Office of the Vice President and Vice Provost for Equity and Diversity, the University of Minnesota IDEA (Innovation, Diversity, Equity, and Achievement) Grants Program seeks to infuse equity and diversity into every aspect of the University's work and operations by funding creative yet pragmatic proposals for projects that address issues of institutional equity and diversity.
Office of International Programs (OIP)
- OIP offers many resources for graduate students and faculty. Check their website for updates.
Office of Public Engagement
- Office of Public Engagement supports departments that wish to develop or strengthen research- or teaching-focused university/community engagement initiatives for faculty and/or students.
Office of the Vice President for Research (OVPR)
- Minnesota Futures Grant Program: Support for two phases of interdisciplinary collaborative projects. Phase 1 solicits proposals to develop and convene interdisciplinary symposia around research questions of current significance. The purpose is to encourage development of interdisciplinary research proposals that will be submitted as part of Phase 2 of the program. Phase 2 will be a call for interdisciplinary research proposals that originate from the symposia.
- Grant-in-Aid of Research, Artistry and Scholarship Program (GIA): Grants to promote the scholarly and artistic activities of the faculty and their graduate students and to foster academic excellence within the University.
Senior VP for Academic Affairs and Provost
- Arts & Humanities Imagine Fund: A fund to support a broad range of faculty activities in the arts, humanities, and design across the University of Minnesota system. Grant programs include: Special Events Grant Program, Course Release Fund & Arts & Humanities Faculty Awards.